Cook's Hideout: Bean Burrito with Potatoes

July 17, 2016

Bean Burrito with Potatoes

Blogging Marathon# 66: Week 3/ Day 1
Theme: Kid's Delight -- Lunch Box Recipes
Dish: Bean Burrito with Potatoes
We are starting a new week of blogging marathon today and my theme for this week is 'Kid friendly-Lunchbox dishes'. I am hosting Valli's Kid's Delight event this month with the same theme. Packing lunches for my kids is quite a task since they are quite picky and it gets really challenging to come up with dishes they would eat in school.
Kid friendly Rice and bean Burritos
Both my kids have very different tastes. My son likes pasta, sandwiches or wraps to school whereas my daughter prefers rice with broccoli, brussels sprouts, carrot etc. With such varied tastes, it becomes so difficult to make something that both of them would enjoy. Luckily until last year, my little one was going to school only 3 days a week, but come September she will be going full time, which means packing lunch for both for the whole week.

Well today's dish is my son's favorite. He loves burritos and tacos for lunch and this recipe also has his other favorite crispy potatoes, so this is a win-win for him. Recipe is from Veggies don't bite blog that she made from Minimalist Baker cookbook.
Kid friendly Rice and bean Burritos
This recipe takes about 30~40 minutes if everything is ready to go. I think to ease out a little bit of stress in the morning, I will probably make the black beans and cook rice the night before. So all I have to do in the morning is to cook the potatoes and assemble the wrap. I can see myself making this burrito quite often for my son.

Recipe from Veggies don't bite (originally from Minimalist Baker cookbook):
Bean Burrito

Ingredients:
  • 2 Wholegrain Tortillas (I used sundried tomato flavored tortillas)
  • 1cup Cooked Black beans (rinsed and drained if using canned beans)
  • 1cup Rice (White or brown)
  • 1/4tsp Ground Cumin
  • 1/4tsp Garlic powder
  • 1/4tsp Chili powder
  • 1/4cup Cilantro, finely chopped
  • 1~2tbsp Lime juice
  • 2 Medium Potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 1 Small Red onion, thinly sliced
  • 1~2tbsp Olive oil
  • As needed Salsa
  • As needed Sour cream
  • As needed Shredded Cheese
Method:
  1. Cook Rice: Combine rice, water (13/4cups for white and 21/2cups for brown) and salt to taste. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, cover and cook till the rice is tender. Remove from heat and set aside. After a couple of minutes, stir in lime juice and cilantro.
  2. Cook Beans: In a small saucepan, combine lack beans, cumin, garlic powder and chili powder. Add 1/4cup of water and simmer till bubbling. Cover and keep warm.
  3. Cook Potatoes: Microwave the potatoes for 3~4 minutes or until just tender.
  4. Heat oil in a nonstick or cast iron pan, add the potatoes to one half of the pan and the onions to the other half. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 4~5 minutes or until slightly browned. Toss together around and cook till lightly browned all over. Remove and heat and set aside.
  5. To make Burrito: Warm the tortilla until pliable. Pile up the rice, beans and potatoes, followed by salsa, sour cream and cheese. Roll it up and cut in half. Enjoy right away or pack up for lunch.
Kid friendly Rice and bean Burritos

 
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 66.
Linking this to Kid's Delight-Lunchbox Recipes event going on right here on my blog.
Signature

8 comments:

  1. Fantastic dish Pavani..I have the same problem with all 3 not liking what the other likes..should try this one for my daughter..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect lunch box idea love those fries on the side beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kids are getting difficult these days but we mothers cater to their food demands...i like the wraps idea, nice and filling and healthy too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh that burritos looks delicions. Kids would love to see this in their lunch box

    ReplyDelete
  5. WHo will say no to this burrito, just prefect to fill a hungry tummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did not realize making barritos can be so easy. Thanks Pavani.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic dish you got there. I would love this in my lunch box, leave aside the kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bean burrito looks so food. Whenever I see broccoli, it reminds me of your daughter. I think she is one of those few kids who love broccoli :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips