Cook's Hideout: Yam Fry (Kerala Chena Mezhukkupuratty)

April 29, 2016

Yam Fry (Kerala Chena Mezhukkupuratty)

BM# 63: Journey through the Cuisines 
Week 4: Kerala Cuisine 
Day 25: Y for Yam fry
Today's letter was probably the easiest to decide. Y for Yam curry, that's it -- I didn't even bother to look for more options. I love yam and always have a few frozen packets in the freezer.
Kerala Chena Mezhukkupuratty
There are quite a few different versions of yam fry online. Some were deep fried while some recipes needed marination, some had onion while some didn't. I settled on Maria's recipe with onion and garlic.
Kerala Chena Mezhukkupuratty
I loved this very flavorful and crispy fried yam. Served with rice and dal, this makes for a delicious meal. I made dal and Vellarikka curry for a filling Kerala meal.

Recipe from Maria's Menu:

Yam Fry
Ingredients:
  • 2cups Peeled & Chopped Yam (I use frozen yam)
  • 1 Small Onion, finely choped
  • 2 Garlic cloves, finely minced
  • ¼tsp Turmeric
  • 2tbsp Coconut Oil
  • ½tsp Mustard Seeds
  • 8~10 Curry leaves
  • To taste Salt & Pepper
  • 1tsp Red Chili powder
Method:
  1. If using raw yam, boil it until just tender. I microwaved the frozen yam for couple of minutes.
  2. Heat coconut oil in a pan, add the mustard seeds and once the seeds start to splutter, add the onion, garlic and curry leaves. Saute till onion turns golden.
  3. Add chili powder, salt and pepper. Next add the yam and mix well to coat with the spices.
  4. Cook on medium-low flame, stirring occasionally, until yam is crispy on the outside. Serve hot with rice.
Kerala Chena Mezhukkupuratty


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 63


Signature

12 comments:

  1. The entire meal looks so inviting Pavani..the yam fry looks so inviting, though I have not cooked yam yet..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yam is the veggie of the day. The fry looks so inviting and your spread sounds so yum..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well for me Y took up maximum time, eventually used an English word.
    the whole set up in the above clicks is like a magazine page, beautifully done.I am not a yam person so I have been scrolling up and down to admire the cicks with those sparkling serve ware.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg, i can finish that whole dish just like snacks, yam fry looks fabulous Pavani.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The curry sounds flavorful and the whole Kerala style meal looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Same pinch. I tried the same thing too. Yam is the star ingredient today. Love it with coconut oil.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such an easy and simple recipe. Kerala meal in the frame looks yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am yet to develop liking for yam but this fry looks absolutely wonderful.Love the setup ,props and clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yam fry looks delicious, entire Kerala meal in the frame looks yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  10. The meal sounds wonderful. I remember when my mom used to make this for us..good pick for Y

    ReplyDelete
  11. Simple and easy to make mezhukupuratty,perfect rice and Sambar or dhal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yam can be cooked in such interesting ways. Love the way you made it. And of course, what better than yam for Y! Lovely setup and pics as always :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips