Cook's Hideout: Vellarikka Curry (Kerala style Cucumber Curry)

April 26, 2016

Vellarikka Curry (Kerala style Cucumber Curry)

BM# 63: Journey through the Cuisines 
Week 4: Kerala Cuisine 
Day 22: V for Vellarikka Curry
There were quite a few options for the letter V in Malayalam. Raw banana (vazhakai), eggplant (vazhuthananga), okra (vendakai) and garlic (velluthulli). I finally ended up picking Vellarikka or cucumber.
Kerala style Cucumber Curry
This Kerala cucumber curry is a simple side dish made with ground coconut and yogurt sauce. With all these coconut based Kerala dishes I probably ate more coconut in a week than I normally would in a month. I'm not complaining though, it's just that we don't use this much coconut in our everyday cooking. On another note, adding coconut to diet has many health benefits like improving heart health, improves digestion, quick energy boost and so on.
Kerala style Cucumber Curry
I used English cucumber to make this curry, but you can use any other cucumber you want. Served with rice and dal, this makes for a filling and delicious meal.

Recipe from Yummy O Yummy:

Vellarikka Curry
Ingredients:
  • 2 Medium Cucumber, peeled (or not) and diced
  • 3~4 Green Chilies, slit
  • ¼tsp Turmeric
  • To taste Salt
  • ½cup Grated Coconut
  • ½tsp Cumin seeds
  • 2tsp Coconut Oil
  • ½tsp Mustard seeds
  • 1~2 Dry Red chili
  • 8~10 Curry leaves
  • 1 Small Red Onion or 2 shallots, finely chopped
  • 2~3tbsp Yogurt, whisked
Method:
  1. Grind coconut and cumin seeds into a smooth paste. Set aside.
  2. In a pan, combine cucumber, green chilies, turmeric, salt and ½cup of water; bring to a boil and simmer till cucumber is tender, about 10~12 minutes.
  3. Stir in the ground coconut mixture and cook for 3~4 minutes for the flavors to mingle. Taste and adjust the salt accordingly. Take off the heat.
  4. In another small pan, heat the coconut oil, add mustard seeds and dry red chili. Once the seeds splutter, add curry leaves and onions. Cook for 3~4 minutes or until the onions are golden brown.
  5. Add the onions to the curry along with the whisked yogurt, mix well. Serve with rice.
Kerala style Cucumber Curry


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 63


Signature

12 comments:

  1. Such a lovely curry Pavani...I enjoy all kerala dishes...and we use lot of coconut in our diet..not sure which influence it is..:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am a big fan of cucumber so defly trying this soon ! I will probably skip d coconut oil .. Great pick, Pavani p

    ReplyDelete
  3. I once tried a cucumber curry with yogurt from a cookbook and it was flop. I should try this curry next time. Yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The curry looks simple yet full of flavors, I have never used cucumber in curries, should try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously cucumber curry sounds prefect to make while the weather is too hot, and love the addition of coconut here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This vellarikai pachadi is must on onam sadya day. I prepare this very often as its easy to make. love this pachadi.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't tried cooking cucumbers this way and have to try it in a spicy version. I love coconut but I find these dishes really bland to my taste.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use a lot of coconut in cooking. This vellarikka curry looks so delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  9. This curry sounds very flavorful with all the coconut in there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks delicious Pavani, bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't cooked with cucumbers.This curry looks inviting and I am tempted to cook them.Lovely choice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I have never used cucumber in anything but salads. Such a lovely curry you got there!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips