Cook's Hideout: Rotlis (Gujarati Rotis)

April 21, 2016

Rotlis (Gujarati Rotis)

Rotlis are nothing but Gujarati paper thin phulkas. Being from the south, I knew only about phulka (puffed up roti), chapathi (pan fried roti) while growing up. But after coming to the US, I came to know about rotli, bhakri, thepla and so on, thanks to my North Indian friends.
Gujarati Rotis
The first time I had rotlis were at one of my Gujarati friend's cousins house while in Graduate school. The lovely couple invited us over for dinner and bhabhi (my friend's SIL) made a huge spread of delicious Gujarati dishes. But all I can remember from that day were her super soft freshly made rotlis. She even used to send a pack of rotlis with our friend for all of us. So whenever I think of rotlis, I think of bhabhi and her amazing hospitality.

Gujarati Rotis
Finally after all these years, I tried making rotlis at home. They are nowhere close what I had years ago, but they were soft and puffed up beautifully, so I'm happy for now :-)
Gujarati Rotis

Recipe from Tarla Dala.com:

Rotlis

Ingredients:
  • 2cups Wholewheat flour (atta)
  • To taste Salt
  • 1tsp Oil
Method:
  1. Combine flour, salt and oil in a mixing bowl. Add enough water to make a smooth, pliable dough. Cover and set aside for 20~30 minutes.
  2. Divide the dough into 12~15 equal portions. Roll each piece into a 5"~6" thin roti.
  3. Heat a tawa or griddle on medium heat. Place the rotli on it and after a few seconds, flip it over. Cook on the other side until air pockets appear on the surface, then turn it over onto the flame until the rotli puffs up.
  4. Keep rotlis warm wrapped in kitchen towel while you repeat making rotlis with the remaining dough.
  5. Smear ghee on top of each rotli and serve immediately with a curry or dal.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 63.
Signature

9 comments:

  1. Rotlis have puffed really well and live photo of rotli on the stove is cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully captured Pavani... We have always been making them for years.. Call them Phulka's or Rotli's they are same... I have grown up with Gujrati neighbours... and mum has been making them literally everyday ever since I have known..

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow.. beautifully puffed up rotlis. Love that video.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's puffed up so beautifully !! N how is that short video captures Pavani ?

    My husband would be mighty pleased if I
    Made him such puffed phulkas .....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your gif..its puffed up so well pavani..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved that rotli puffing..really cool..and yes the Gujrati rotlis are paper thin, even over so many years I havent been able to master this art.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Puffed rotlis looks wonderful.Love the entire setup.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rotlis puffed up so well,love the gif.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips