Cook's Hideout: Quick Pan Handvo (Gujarati Instant Handvo)

April 20, 2016

Quick Pan Handvo (Gujarati Instant Handvo)

BM# 63: Journey through the Cuisines 
Week 3: Gujarati Cuisine 
Day 17: Q for Quick Pan Handvo
Q was one of the tough letters to find a dish in Gujarati cuisine (I guess it's difficult in many cuisines). I was almost tempted to make 'Qesar Shrikhand' but it seemed a little odd, so I finally ended up making Quick Pan Handvo instead.
Gujarati Instant Handvo
Handvo is a popular Gujarati snack. It is a baked spicy lentil cake made with a fermented batter of rice, lentils and spices. It is crispy on the outside and soft inside. It has been on my to-make list for quite a long time. I was hoping to try the traditional version for this mega marathon, but Oondhiyu dictated the letter selection, so Handvo has to wait for now.
Gujarati Instant Handvo
But I'm happy that I was able to try this quick version of handvo. It has the same texture as the traditional version, crispy on the outside and soft inside. Recipe is from Bhavna's kitchen. Instead of using rice and lentils, this instant version uses sooji and besan. It is not as healthy as the original, but is sure very delicious.
Grated bottle gourd or lauki is generally added to the handvo batter. I didn't have it on hand, so I used store bought coleslaw mix which is nothing but a mixture finely shredded green & red cabbage and carrot. Using the store bought shortcut made making this dish even easier and quicker.
Gujarati Instant Handvo
Handvo is usually served as a snack, but I found it to be too filling for a snack. I think it can be served as a light meal, but it's up to personal choice.

Recipe from Bhavna's Kitchen:

Quick Pan Handvo

Ingredients:
  • 1cup Sooji (Semolina)
  • ¼cup Besan (chickpea flour)
  • 1~1½cups Yogurt
  • 2~3 Green Chilies, finely chopped
  • 1" Ginger piece, finely grated
  • 1cup Veggies of choice (I used shredded cabbage and carrot, but traditionally bottle gourd or lauki is used)
  • 5tbsp Oil, divided use
  • ½tsp Ground Cumin
  • ½tsp Ground Coriander
  • ¼tsp Turmeric
  • To taste Salt
  • ¼tsp Baking Soda
  • For Tempering:
  • 1tsp Mustard Seeds
  • 1tbsp Sesame Seeds
Method:
  1. In a mixing bowl, combine sooji, besan, ground cumin & coriander, ginger, green chilies, 3tbsp oil, shredded vegetables and salt. Mix well and add water slowly to make a thick pour-able batter. Set aside for 30 minutes.
  2. When ready to make the handvo, stir in the baking soda into the batter and mix well.
  3. Heat 2tbsp oil in a cast iron or other heavy base pan on medium heat. Add the mustard seeds, sesame seeds and curry leaves. Once the seeds start to splutter
  4. Mix well and pour the prepared batter into the hot pan.
  5. Cover and cook on low flame until the bottom is crispy and golden brown. Carefully flip over and cook till the other side is crispy and golden.
  6. Serve hot with green chutney.
Gujarati Instant Handvo

13 comments:

  1. Wonderful dish Pavani..I am still yet to make handvo and here you are making quick versions of that...btw I would have loved Qesar Shrikhand and let me assure you that its not weird at all..lol..

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is been on my to try list as well. Quick version looks lot easier. Q was a challenging letter to come up with a regional dish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. perfect pick for Q, Pavani... Handvo has been on my to-do list .. bookmarking ur quick version too :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. interesting version. Yet to try handvo.. Will give a try. Good pick for Q

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have made the authentic version of handvo and this seems like a really quick version. It looks awesome..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have made the baked version a couple of times but this instant version is reminding me our dibba rotte. Going to try it later. Your quick version handvo sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Handvo has been on my to do list, love your quick version. Bookmarked the recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thats a lovely pick for Q, handvo looks simply fabulous and you nailed this quick version prefectly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As Suma pointed out, it definitely reminds me of dibba rotte. A very handy recipe for a quick meal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pavani excellent twist to the original handvo . The taste naturally will be very different , but you must try the original one , its delicious . And i am
    Bookmarking this for variation 😀

    ReplyDelete
  11. Handvo is a common dinner option at our place. I loved the way you made a quick version of it. Stunning clicks too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Handvo looks so nutritious and filling.Love how beautifully you captured it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've made the traditional version and it is time consuming but your instant version looks just as delicious

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips