Cook's Hideout: Instant Rabdi with Malpua (Rajasthani Rabri Malpua)

April 11, 2016

Instant Rabdi with Malpua (Rajasthani Rabri Malpua)

BM# 63: Journey through the Cuisines 
Week 2: Rajasthani Cuisine 
Day 9: I for Instant Rabri with Rajasthani Mawa Malpua
We are starting a new week in a new state today. After all the yummy Bengali dishes from last week I am going on a culinary journey through the desert state of Rajasthan. Again I have a sweet dish to start the week -- Instant Rabdi (Rabri) with Mawa Malpua.
Rajasthani Rabri with Malpua
Letter 'I' seemed a little difficult to find recipes for and after looking around the internet, I decided to make 'Imarti', a cousin of jalebi aka jhangri (in the Southern states). It is quite commonly made all over the country and technically cannot be associated with Rajasthan, but I took the plunge and finalized it for 'I'. I watched a few videos and I was confident that I had it all figured out. I set out an afternoon making the Imarti, but unfortunately (sob.. sob..) my imarti were epic failure. They were not juicy and sweet -- instead they were rubbery and sugar crusted :-(
Rajasthani Rabri with Malpua
Back to the drawing board, I had to get creative with the names, so it is I for Instant Rabdi with Mawa Malpua. These I absolutely loved -- so easy to make and the taste was OMG, so rich, decadent and sinful. I couldn't stop myself from eating a couple of malpuas with rabdi and then had to walk around the block to get rid of the guilt (and calories).
Rajasthani Rabri
This instant rabdi is the easiest dessert you could ever make. Traditionally it is made by boiling milk and the cream is collected for about 1½~2 hours. I didn't have that much patience, so went with a quicker and instant version. Recipe uses bread to thicken this rabdi/ rabri. I also used evaporated milk to make even more quick. But you can also use regular whole fat milk and boil till it thickens a little, may be about 20~25 minutes.
Rajasthani Rabri
Rabdi can be served just as is or it can be served along with malpua or jalebi or falooda. Serve it chilled or at room temperature for a yummy yummy dessert.
Rajasthani Rabri with Malpua

Recipe adapted from Tarla Dalal:

Instant Rabdi
Ingredients:
  • 1 14oz. can Evaporated Milk (or use 2cups of whole milk boiled to about 11/2cups)
  • 1cup Whole milk
  • 3tbsp Condensed Milk (adjust as per taste)
  • 1 Slice of white bread, crust removed
  • ½tsp Ground Cardamom
  • As needed Chopped Pistachios & Almonds
Method:
  1. In a heavy bottom nonstick pan, combine evaporated and whole milk. Bring to a boil and simmer till the mixture thickens a little bit, stirring occasionally, about 8~10 minutes.
  2. In the meantime, blend the bread slice to make fresh breadcrumbs.
  3. Add the breadcrumbs, condensed milk and cardamom to the milk and simmer for 4~5 minutes. Let it cool, then refrigerate for 3~4 hours before serving. Garnish with chopped nuts and serve with Mawa Malpua.
Rajasthani Rabri with Malpua


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 63.


Signature

20 comments:

  1. Sad your first choice didn't work out..I am loving this instant version though..such beautifully clicked pictures...glad you walked away your calories..:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow lovely choice Pavani.Rajasthani cuisine recipes would be interesting.The instant version of the rabri looks easy and super rich.Nice combo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that plate with malpua s so beautiful and what a dedly combination drooling here...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look forward to ur Rajasthani treats Pavani !! Rabdi is one of my weakness , n I like it mildly sweetened ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very gorgeous dessert, this is something extremely irresistible..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love this instant version of rabdi. I have everything at home and I am tempted to make some right away. This would have tasted delicious with malpua. Sorry about the imartis though. At least you tried. I had jangiri written down for J and it did not make past the writing stage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love evaporated milk. It comes in handy for many recipes. love this instant rabdi.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry for your mishap, Pavani. Jilebi and jangri are two sweets that I haven't dared to try yet. And have postponed making malpua many times so far. Love this quick and instant rabbi idea and must have paired well with those malpua. Yummy combo..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Imarti is a tough sweet to work with, I too am nervous so havent tried it...but look at these malpuas, they rock and with rabdi..wow..delicious to the core.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I read Rajasthan, I was almost sure you would put up Imarti. But I see it is as difficult as I have always thought it to be. nevertheless, the instant rabdi and malpua look perfect :) Great share Pavani!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thats nice cheat option...loved the pictures , the one with jalebi looks surreal

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both rabdi and malpua looks amazing. Very bad your imarti didn't turn out good. But still you ended up making an awesome dish..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the instant version Pavani, your malpua and rabdi are perfectly done:) bookmarked the recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Simple and easy to make instant version,mouthwatering recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Was this the flop show you mentioned few days ago? It is good and bad that the recipe failed. Now you have an amazing recipe for instant rabdi.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome instant rabdi Pavani. So sorry that your first choice didn't work out. You have more than made up for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. like your instant version definitely up my alley as it takes far less time although sorry your original idea was a bust :(

    ReplyDelete
  18. This instant version is tempting me to try this. Awesome pics

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loved this instant version of rabdi...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips