Cook's Hideout: Homemade Hot Cocoa (using Raw Cacao powder)

March 03, 2016

Homemade Hot Cocoa (using Raw Cacao powder)

Blogging Marathon# 62: Week 1/ Day 1
Theme: Kid's Delight -- Chocolate
Dish: Hot Cocoa
We are starting a new edition of Blogging marathon today and my theme for this week is 'Kid friendly Chocolate dishes'. Kalyani is hosting this month's Kid's Delight event with this universally loved ingredient as the theme.
Hot Chocolate made with Raw cacao powder
I think most kids love chocolate and my kids definitely are in the chocolate loving group especially my son. I couldn't pass up this theme because it's been a while I tried some new chocolate recipes. First up is this 'Hot Cocoa' recipe. It has been quite a chilly winter so far not as cold as last year but still cold. I have been making this hot cocoa for my kids as their after-school drink.
Hot Chocolate made with Raw cacao powder
I recently bought this Raw Cacao powder and have been making smoothies and this hot cocoa with it. I read it can used to make brownies, cookies, cakes and just about anything that you would bake with regular cocoa powder. As the name suggests, raw cacao powder is raw without any unwanted sugars or additives. It is unprocessed, so it retains important nutrients like manganese, iron, calcium, fiber and protein. Do look out for raw cacao powder if not use whatever you have on hand to make this drink.
I added a bit of chopped chocolate to the mix to make the drink a little richer, but you can skip it and make it with only with the cocoa powder. Either way this is one drink that is sure to warm you up on a chilly winter day.


Hot Chocolate
Ingredients:
  • 1½cups Milk (Whole or 2% fat or Almond milk for vegan variation)
  • ¼cup Water
  • 2tbsp Raw Cacao powder or Cocoa powder
  • 1~2tbsp Sugar (adjust per taste)
  • 2tbsp Bittersweet or Semisweet chocolate, chopped (optional)
  • ½tsp Vanilla
Method:
  1. In a small saucepan on medium-low heat, combine milk, water, cacao powder and sugar. Whisk until smooth. Bring the mixture to a slow simmer and cook for 2~3 minutes.
  2. Turn off the heat and add the chopped chocolate (if using) and vanilla extract. Whisk until chocolate is completely melted.
  3. Pour into mugs and serve right away with an optional dollop of whipped cream and a shaving of chocolate.
Hot Chocolate made with Raw cacao powder

 
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 62. Linking this to Kalyani's #KidsDelightChocoGiveaway.
Signature

20 comments:

  1. I can have that mug of hot cocoa breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to look out for this raw cocoa next time I go shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting ! I have yet to experiment with this one .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! It's so easy to make!! Even my kid's love to have it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice recipe with using raw Cacao powder Pavani, I made hot cocoa but never used raw Cacao. With all the recipes we can make using it, I have to find it. Thanks for introducing a new ingredient to me:) The hot cocoa looks really yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cnnot say I am a great fan of hot chocolate but the girls are crazy. they will love this cuppa anytime of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this is universally kid approved dish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a gorgeous drink, wish i get this ultimate cup of hot cocoa rite now, its too chilled now here to drink this hot cocoa..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hot chocolate with raw cacao is interesting and sounds yummy..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Been reading about cacao powder here and there. Good to see it in àction too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. New tried raw cacao.My daughter loves hot chocolate and I am in love with the first pic :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never heard of a recipe with raw Cacao. This is the first. Bookmarked!!! I need to try and see this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This cup of chocolate looks yummy. Beautiful clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hot chocolate looks delicious.. Sure kids love it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would like to try the raw cacao sometime. I love how your son is holding the mug with a hand underneath to protect it :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never tried raw cacao .Reading about all the good stuff in it, I am going to look for this.Hot cocoa looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Same pinch Pavani. Even I made hot chocolate. Your snaps are awesome..

    ReplyDelete
  18. yummy dish my kids favourite..........

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that first shot pavani..very lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips