Cook's Hideout: Sev Khamani

May 15, 2015

Sev Khamani

Time sure is flying right by, can't believe it is the middle of May already. It almost slipped my mind that it's time to post for this month's 'Indian Cooking Challenge' and I haven't even looked at the ingredients. I immediately looked at the recipe and my pantry & fridge to see if I had all the ingredients. I was only missing the pomegranate, I went shopping and bought it right away.
So the dish that Valli picked is this Gujarati snack called Sev Khamani. Recipe is from Vaishali's friend, so big thanks to Vaishali & Valli for picking this recipe.
Sev Khamani
Gujaratis have a knack of making delicious snacks & dishes with just about any ingredient. It's mind boggling the number of snacks and desserts they make. This is one such recipe where the dish uses crumbled up khaman dhoklas. I think it is a genius idea because my dhoklas end up crumbled most of the time anyway and this is a delicious way of reusing them into a completely new dish.

Sev Khamani
The highlight of this dish is the toppings used -- crunchy sev, juicy pomegranate seeds and sweet grated coconut. I think sev and pomegranate seeds are a must for this dish -- they add so much texture and flavor to the dish.
Sev Khamani
Ingredients: Serves 1 very hungry person (may be 2, if not too hungry)
To make Khaman Dhokla:
Besan/ Chickpea flour - ¾cup 
Semolina/ Sooji - 2tbsp
Sugar - 1tsp
Lemon juice - 1tsp
Green chili - 1, finely chopped
Ginger - ½" piece, finely grated 
Salt - to taste
Eno fruit salt - 1tsp

To make Sev Khamani:
Mustard seeds - ½tsp
Sesame seeds - ½tsp
Green chili - 1, finely chopped
Garlic - 2 cloves, finely minced
Curry leaves - 6~8
Turmeric - ¼tsp

For Toppings:
Pomegranate seeds - ¼cup 
Fine Sev - as needed
Grated coconut - 1tbsp
Cilantro - 1tbsp, chopped
Lemon juice - as needed

Method:
  • Make Khaman Dhokla: In a mixing bowl, combine besan, sooji, sugar, salt, lemon juice, chili and ginger. Add a few tablespoons of water to make a thick paste. Now add more water to form a thick lump free batter.
  • Bring water to a boil in a pressure cooker. Grease a shallow dish with cooking spray. 
  • Add eno to the batter and mix well to incorporate. Pour into the greased dish and steam in the pressure cooker for 10~15 minutes.
  • Let cool for a little bit, then remove onto a plate -- khaman dhokla is ready.
  • Make Sev Khamani: Now crumble the dhokla and keep ready.
  • Heat 1tbsp oil in a pan, add mustard and sesame seeds; once the seeds start to splutter, add the garlic, green chili and curry leaves.
  • Next add the crumbled dhokla mixture, mix well and cook till heated through. Mix in lemon juice.
  • Serve immediately with the toppings of choice. I would highly recommend pomegranate seeds, both for pop of color and for the yummy taste while eating.
Sev Khamani
Signature

1 comment:

  1. Pictures look amazing Pavani..I have been wanting to make this dish for so long, yet couldn't make it on time..hoping it gets done sooner..your pictures surely make me hungry!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips