Cook's Hideout: Massamun Curry Paste Recipe (Vegan)

January 25, 2015

Massamun Curry Paste Recipe (Vegan)

Massamun is supposed to be the heartiest of all Thai stew-like curries. The curry paste used to make the curry is complex and elaborate, containing more ingredients, especially dry roasted flavors, than any other curry pastes.
Massamun Curry Paste Recipe
Even though it is a long list of ingredients for the curry paste, most of them are readily available in a well stocked kitchen or a grocery store. I've never seen fresh galangal or kaffir lime leaves in any of the stores that I go to, but luckily I found some canned/ jarred ones in Whole Foods that I picked up right away. They keep in the fridge for quite a while and are quite handy in making Thai curry pastes and other dishes.

Massamun Curry Paste Recipe
This recipe makes about 1cup of curry paste and the curry uses about 3~4tbsp of it. I freeze the remaining curry paste in a freezer safe ziploc bag and then use as needed.

Recipe from Buddha's Table cookbook.
Ingredients: Makes 1 cup of Curry paste
Dried Red Chilies (California, New Mexico or Guajillo chilies) - 6~8 (I used Indian red chilies)
Coriander seeds - 2tbsp
Cumin seeds - 2tsp
Whole Cardamom seeds - 5
Cinnamon stick - 2" piece
Nutmeg - ¼tsp
Cloves - 5
Whole black peppercorns - 1tsp
Shallots - 1 medium, chopped
Lemon grass - 2tbsp, chopped (tender midsection only)
Garlic - 2~3 cloves, chopped
Galangal - 1tbsp (I used jarred galangal)
Fresh Cilantro roots or stems - 1tbsp
Kaffir Lime skin or leaves - 2tsp (I used jarred kaffir lime leaves)
Salt - to taste

Method:
  • Stem and seed the dried red chilies. Soak them in warm water for 10~15 minutes or until soft. Drain and squeeze dry.
  • Dry roast the coriander seeds, cumin, cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and peppercorns in a pan over medium heat for 5~7 minutes or until fragrant.
  • Using a mortar and pestle, pound and grind all the ingredients, adding in each new ingredient only after the previous one is pureed and incorporated into a paste. 
  • Alternatively, combine all the ingredients in a food processor and process into a smooth paste, adding a small amount of water to facilitate blending. Use as needed to make Massamun curry or freeze for later use.
Massamun Curry Paste Recipe




Linking this to Valli's 'Cooking from Cookbook ChallengeJanuary -- Week 4'.











Signature

2 comments:

  1. When my container of the store bought one is finished, you have inspired me to try and make my own fresh which I am sure makes the curry even more flavorful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome pavani, curry paste is absolutely inviting, i m literally salivating here!!! Definitely making this!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips