Cook's Hideout: Beet-Tomato Rasam

October 31, 2014

Beet-Tomato Rasam

When my MIL told me about Beet rasam, I was a little skeptical. I am not a big fan of beets, I eat them once in a while without complaining, but they are not something I really crave for. So when my MIL said Beet & tomato rasam, I wasn't sure what to expect. But I asked her make it anyway just to see how it tastes. It tasted pretty good and I noted the recipe down to try it for myself later.
Beet-Tomato Rasam
I made the rasam recently with the beets I had in the fridge. Grinding cooked beets with tomatoes gives this rasam a thick consistency and the beets give a very subtle sweetness. Only the color of this rasam gives away the presence of beets, otherwise it is pretty inconspicuous. This is a great way to feed beets to kids.

Beet-Tomato Rasam
Ingredients:
Beets - 1cup, cubed
Canned diced Tomato - 1cup (or use 2 ripe tomatoes)
Tamarind - 2tsp
Rasam powder - 1tsp
Mustard seeds - 1tsp
Cumin seeds - 1tsp
Dry red chilies - 2
Curry leaves - 8~10
Cilantro - 1tbsp, finely chopped
Salt - to taste

Method:
  • Boil or steam beets until tender. Set aside to cool.
  • If using fresh tomatoes, then blanch them briefly in boiling water and dunk them in cold water. Peel the skin and coarsely chop them. Canned tomatoes can be used as is.
  • Grind beets and tomatoes until smooth.
  • Heat 2tsp oil in a saucepan, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, dry chilies and curry leaves. Once the seeds start to splutter, add the beet-tomato puree along with tamarind paste, rasam powder and salt.
  • Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer the rasam for 6~8 minutes.
Beet-Tomato Rasam




Linking this to Valli's 'Cooking from Cookbook Challenge: November -- Week 1'.









Signature

3 comments:

  1. I always wanted to include beet in my diet but didn't have many options. This sounds interesting. Gonna try this.. thanks for the share

    ReplyDelete
  2. so tasty and colorful rasam.. Love ur presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! Love the clicks. This is do new to me but would love to try this soon

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips