Cook's Hideout: Italy - Pasta Alla Norma (Pasta in Spicy Eggplant & Tomato Sauce)

September 10, 2014

Italy - Pasta Alla Norma (Pasta in Spicy Eggplant & Tomato Sauce)

BM# 44: A-Z Cooking Series -- Around the World in 30 days
Country: I for Italy
Dish: Pasta Alla Norma (Pasta in Spicy Eggplant & Tomato Sauce) 
We are going back to Europe, to Italy today. Italy seemed an obvious choice and my son thinks he's half Italian because his favorite foods are pizza and pasta. But come to think of it, I like Italian food too. What's not to like about pasta, cheese and pizza.
Italy also is on my bucket list not just to enjoy the local food but also to tour the beautiful, historic and touristic places. Many hollywood movies are shot in Italy, I especially remember the beautiful locations in George Clooney's 'The American' movie. Lot of Indian movies have shown us Venice, making it a definite stop in Italy while we are there. Oh, how I wish, my dreams can come true.
Italian cuisine is characterized by its simplicity with many dishes having only 4~8 ingredients. Italian cooks rely on fresh, quality ingredients rather than elaborate preparation. Ingredients and dishes vary by region. Cheese and wine are a major part of the cuisine.
Italy - Pasta Alla Norma (Pasta in Spicy Eggplant & Tomato Sauce)


I decided to make a typical pasta dish from Italy today. 'Pasta Alla Norma' is a classic Sicilian dish from Catania, an Italian city. It's made with tomatoes, fried eggplant and ricotta salata cheese. As an eggplant lover, I had this dish on my to-make list for a very very long time and finally this is the time to try it out.
Italy - Pasta Alla Norma (Pasta in Spicy Eggplant & Tomato Sauce)
I wasn't disappointed a bit. This is a very simple pasta dish that packs a lot of flavor and tastes absolutely amazing.

Recipe adapted New York Times. 
Ingredients: Serves 4~6
Long Pasta like Spaghetti/ Angel Hair or Bucatini - 1lb.
Eggplant - 1 large globe or 3~4 Japanese long ones, cut into ½" thick slices
Dried red chili - 3~4
Tomatoes - 1 14oz. can of diced tomatoes or 3~4 large ripe
Garlic - 2~3 cloves, finely chopped
Dry Oregano - 1tsp (or 1tbsp fresh)
Parsley or Basil - ½cup, chopped
Ricotta Salata or Pecorino Romano - ½cup, grated

Method:
  • Cook sliced eggplant in batches in 2~3tbsp of olive oil until the eggplants are cooked through and nicely browned. Sprinkle with some salt. Remove onto a plate and repeat with the remaining eggplant slices.
  • In the same pan, heat 2tbsp olive oil on medium heat, add the garlic and chilies, and cook till the garlic turns golden, make sure not to burn garlic.
  • Add the tomatoes and oregano, along with salt and pepper; cook until sauce thickens and is not too dry, stirring occasionally. Add the fried eggplant slices to the sauce and reheat for a minute.
  • In the meantime, cook the pasta till tender but not mushy. Drain and add to the tomato sauce.
  • Taste and adjust the seasoning, then top it with parsley or basil and grated cheese. Serve hot!!
Italy - Pasta Alla Norma (Pasta in Spicy Eggplant & Tomato Sauce)
Signature

14 comments:

  1. Ah..maybe I am half Italian as well..:)..I love pizzas, pastas and everything Italian..:)..your plate looks so sinful, so is the presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Looks so appetizing! Your pictures are great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not surprise why you chose this recipe! Pasta looks delicious with those roasted eggplants, sprinkled parsley and cheese. I like the background you used.. I remember seeing this is one of your new painted boards photo. Like the texture and two tone colors on it. It has a nice rustic look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pasta alla norma looks wonderful with all those ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mouth is just watering here, anything with spaghetti is our family favourite, i want that plate of alluring pasta alla norma rite now for my dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter would love to join your Italian group. :) That bowl of pasta looks inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Planning to try a slightly modified version of this for dinner tonight, Pavani. Will let you know how it turns out.
    Jayashree - My experiments with food

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even My daughter is half Italian as she loves to eat Pizza and pasta a lot :) Your dreams will come to reality soon , I will to like to join then ;) Mouthwatering pasta alla norma there , looks so tempting !! love you pasta bowl , and fantastic presentation !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My little one is already with you on the flight to Italy, Pavani :) You have outdone yourself with the presentation !!

    ReplyDelete
  10. May your dreams come true Pavani :) .The dish looks extremely inviting and I love your plate/ bowl.Simply superb.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The clicks are awesome and so inviting. The recipe is interesting though I would have to omit eggplants due to my allergy. Very well captured recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Ricotta Salata but you know with eggplant, I am having no part of this.

    love your pics as always

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pasta looks fabulaous Pavani. Wish I could have a few tsp of that...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum your pic looks like one from a cookbook!!!! I wis I could get some of this!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips