Cook's Hideout: Honduras -- Baleadas (Vegetarian Recipe)

September 09, 2014

Honduras -- Baleadas (Vegetarian Recipe)

BM# 44: A-Z Cooking Series -- Around the World in 30 days
Country: H for Honduras
Dish: Baleadas 
We are going to Central America today to Honduras. Honduras was conquered by the Spanish in the 16th century and they introduced Roman Catholism and Spanish language along with numerous customs that have blended with the indigenous culture. The country became independent in 1821 and since been a republic. Honduras is best known for the production of minerals, coffee, tropical fruit and sugar cane, as well as for its growing textiles industry, which serves the international market.
Honduras -- Baleadas
The reason for choosing Honduras was when I started listing the countries my husband was away on business to Honduras and it ended up on the list. He was the one who suggested the dish too. Baleadas are one of the original and popular foods in Honduras. It is made of a thick wheat flour tortilla that is folded in half and filled with mashed beans and occasionally other ingredients. They are very similar to Mexican burritos in terms of fillings.

They are served as street food and also at fast food restaurants like Subway here in the US. At the restaurant, you can pick the ingredients that go into your baleadas and they make them fresh for you. I saw a video (that I can't seem to find now) where they were making even the tortilla fresh.
To make things simple, I used storebought tortillas and refried beans. You can make your own tortillas, but I was just not up to it when I made this meal. I had some canned refried beans in the fridge that needed to be used up, but you can use cooked kidney, pinto or black beans. This is such a simple and hearty meal that even my kids loved.
Honduras -- Baleadas
Ingredients: Makes 4 Baleadas
Whole wheat Flour tortillas - 4
Refried beans - 1 cup (or use red kidney beans, pinto beans or black beans)
Ground cumin - 1tsp
Onion - 1 medium, thinly sliced
Green & orange peppers - 1 medium each, thinly sliced
Grated Cheese - to serve (I used cheddar cheese)
Salt & Pepper - to taste

Method:
  • Heat 1tsp oil in a small saucepan, add the refried beans along with ground cumin, salt and pepper. Cook till heated through. Add water if the beans look too thick. 
  • Heat 2tbsp oil in a sauté pan, add the chopped onions and peppers. Cook till the veggies are crisp tender, about 6~8 minutes. 
  • To assemble: Spray a nonstick tawa/ griddle with cooking spray, place the tortilla and cook till heated through and slightly charred. Remove on to a plate.
  • Spread 2~3tbsp of beans mixture and top it with the veggies, shredded cheese and sour cream. Serve immediately.
Signature

13 comments:

  1. Such a simple dish but a great combination of flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good one Pavani, so much like the mexican cuisine right...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The filling is colorful and tempting. That is a filling meal and would not mind it for lunch or dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honduras baleadas looks absolutely filling, very nutritious and quite filling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A simple and filling meal besides being guilt-free. I had made it for an earlier BM and the basic version of beans and cheese is my daughter's favorite. In fact, she was asking me this weekend to make some for her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow your baleades are mindblowing dear :) looks so inviting and so very healthy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such a filling dish.Looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very delicious and filling recipe , lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah a new name and very much like a Mexican dish..you will see a similar dish in my coming posts..The balea das look super tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing combination of flavours. Looks simple and colourful. Lovely way to use up leftover curry!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a filling meal. Even though I had my lunch, I am feeling extremely hungry looking at all your snaps..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum yum yum. Pavani your pics are killing me. Any more nice pics I am sure I will have to get a new chair..
    These are delicious and okay I am wishing I can eat this off the screen.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips