Cook's Hideout: Summer Pasta Puttanesca (Vegan recipe)

May 16, 2014

Summer Pasta Puttanesca (Vegan recipe)

Weather in our neck of woods is very Spring like -- hot one day, sprinkles and chilly the next day. Spring is one of my favorite seasons -- I love the budding trees, blooming flowers and the crisp mornings. Not many might agree with me, which includes my husband and my son, who suffer from Spring allergies. But I still like spring.
Coming back to today's pasta dish, I watched this being made on America's Test Kitchen cook show and I really liked how the chef made a fresh tomato sauce using grape tomatoes. Grape tomatoes are consistently good all through the year, so this is a great dish to make any time of the year.
Summer Pasta Puttanesca (Vegan recipe)

Traditionally Puttanesca sauce is made with tomato puree or crushed tomatoes, anchovies and olives. I always thought anchovies are what made the dish and never bothered to try it without them. But after watching the show, I wanted to try and make it vegan without the anchovies. I'm glad I did because this is a very flavorful sauce with briny olives and capers that give the dish the required saltiness. Even my almost 2 year old daughter loved this dish, I was surprised that she liked both capers and olives.
Summer Pasta Puttanesca (Vegan recipe)
Ingredients: Serves 1~2
Campanelle Pasta - 4oz.
Grape or Cherry Tomatoes - 1cup (about 14~16 grape tomatoes)
Garlic cloves - 2, minced
Red chili flakes - a pinch
Dried Oregano - a pinch
Kalamata Olives - 3tbsp, pitted and chopped
Capers - 1tbsp, drained, rinsed and minced
Fresh Parsley - 3tbsp, finely chopped
Salt - to taste

Method:
  • Cook pasta according to package directions. Reserve 1cup of cooking water, drain the pasta and return to the pot.
  • Blend the tomatoes until finely chopped but not pureed, about 15~45 seconds. Transfer to a fine-mesh sieve and let the juice drain for 5 minutes, press with the back of the spoon to extract liquid. Reserve the tomato liquid in the bowl and the pulp in the strainer.
  • Heat a large skillet on medium heat and add 1tbsp extra virgin olive oil, red chili flakes, dried oregano and garlic, stir frequently and cook until the garlic is fragrant, but not brown, about 2~3 minutes.
  • Next add the tomato liquid and simmer until the juice is reduced to a thick paste, 2~3 minutes.
  • Add the tomato pulp, olives and capers; cook until just heated through, about 2~3 minutes. Stir in chopped parsley.
  • Add the cooked pasta and toss to combine with the sauce. Add reserved cooking water as needed to adjust the consistency. Season with salt to taste. Serve immediately.
Summer Pasta Puttanesca (Vegan recipe)


Linking this to Valli's 'Cooking from Cookbook Challenge: May -- Week 3.'










Also linking it to this week's Fabulous Feast# 15 being hosted by Usha and me.
Signature

7 comments:

  1. Hard to resist to this vegan version of puttanesca..Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spring is even my favorite seasons, although I do have slight allergies. Pasta looks good and love the bowl with pasta written on it and also the bowl of pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very Colorful indeed!!! Good that your lil one liked it!!! Here too my LO is more adventurous than my elder one when it comes to food!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Summer pasta looks super-delicious, just in time when looking for an savoury treat :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow looks so delicious ..would like to pick up that bowl having pasta written on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always buy grape tomatoes as I like to snack on them and this is a great use to do with them

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting and colorful platter...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips