Cook's Hideout: Gojju Avalakki/ Huli Avalakki/ Tangy Poha

May 18, 2014

Gojju Avalakki/ Huli Avalakki/ Tangy Poha

Blogging Marathon# 40: Week 3/ Day 2
Theme: Unused BM# 39 posts
Dish: Gojju Avalakki
I was very confident that I had this week covered and wasn't even worried about it until a few days ago. I thought I had lot of posts in the drafts but I didn't realize that I used most of them up for CCChallenge (this and this in particular). So I looked through the papers where I jotted down my list of states and dishes to make for BM# 39.
Gojju Avalakki/ Huli Avalakki/ Tangy Poha
My husband studied in Davangere, Karnataka and he always mentions the different dishes that Kannadigas make with poha and murmure. I wanted to try a different poha dish from Karnataka, but thought that would be too simple and also I had planned made Indori Poha for Madhya Pradesh, finally ended up making Pathir Pheni for Karnataka. 

Gojju Avalakki/ Huli Avalakki/ Tangy Poha
So for today, I made a tangy, spicy and sweet gojju avalakki or huli avalakki. I loved how easy it is to make and how much flavor is packed in it. It was so delicious that even my toddler loved it. The best thing is the leftover tastes even better when served warm.
Gojju Avalakki/ Huli Avalakki/ Tangy Poha
Recipe adapted from Sailu's blog:
Ingredients:
Poha/ Flattened Rice - 1cup
Tamarind paste - 1tbsp
Jaggery - 2tsp
Sambar powder - 1tsp, home made or store bought
Sesame seeds - 1tbsp
Grated coconut - 1tbsp, fresh or frozen
Turmeric - a pinch
Cilantro - 2tbsp, finely chopped
Salt - to taste

For Tempering:
Mustard seeds - 1tsp
Urad dal - 1tsp
Curry leaves - 8~10
Asafoetida/ Hing - a pinch
Roasted peanuts - 2tbsp

Method:

  • Combine the tamarind paste, jaggery, salt and sambar powder in a bowl. Mix well until jaggery is completely dissolved.
  • Grind the poha into a coarse sooji/ semolina like texture. Take poha in a strainer or colander and wash under running water. Place the washed poha in a bowl. Poha should still be a little wet and not completely dry. 
  • Add the poha to the tamarind mixture and mix well to coat everything evenly. Cover and set aside for 15~20 minutes.
  • In the meantime roast the sesame seeds until lightly browned. Cool and grind to a powder. Set aside.
  • Heat 1tbsp oil in a pan; add urad dal and mustard seeds and once the seeds start to splutter, add the curry leaves, hing and peanuts; cook for 1 minute.
  • Next add the poha and turmeric mix well, cover and cook for 4~5 minutes. Add the sesame seed powder and adjust the salt and jaggery. Mix well and turn off the heat. 
  • Add grated coconut and cilantro; serve immediately.
Gojju Avalakki/ Huli Avalakki/ Tangy Poha
I served the gojju avalakki with curd poha/ mosaravalakki.

Curd Poha/ Mosaravalakki
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 40.
Also linking it to this week's Fabulous Feast# 15 being hosted by Usha and me.
Signature

13 comments:

  1. Tangy poha is just irresistible, i can happily finish that bowl, that curd poha is soo tempting too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can imagine the taste of tamarind and sambhar powder ...yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even I made puli aval sometime back..it tasted great..very nice pictures Pavani..and I can imagine the shock you must have got when you realized you didn't have anything in draft!..good you managed to make it..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even I thought I had many in my drafts and then only to realize I did not pictures of some of the food that cooked. But I did have enough posts for this theme. Tangy poha must have taste good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had never heard of poha being ground before use. Very interesting variation and looks really good. Lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow.. It's been a long time I have seen dish. While in bangalore it used to be a lunch for me.
    Tempting dish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Atukula pulihora is my mom's fav. We grew up eating this in a slightly different version.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a tangy treat this is :) Lovely recipe Pavani!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poha seems to be such a versatile ingredient even though I only had it about twice

    ReplyDelete
  10. not sure if my last comment registered - such a versatile ingredient - have to use poha more often

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your version sounds delicious. Just wanted to let you know that poha is usually ground to rava consistency while preparing gojjavalakki and sambhar powder is not added traditionally.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips