Cook's Hideout: Roasted Chestnut Donuts (Vegan & Eggless Cake Donut Recipe)

February 19, 2014

Roasted Chestnut Donuts (Vegan & Eggless Cake Donut Recipe)

Blogging Marathon# 37: Week 3/ Day 3
Theme: Street Food from Around the World
Dish: Roasted Chestnut Donuts from NYC
I was thinking  hard to decide which country's street food to make for the 3rd day of BM# 37. I shortlisted a few dishes to try, but then I realized that I live only a few miles from the greatest city with amazing street food and it would be unfair to try anything else. I'm talking about New York city. Watch this video with 50 different street foods in NYC in 60 seconds.
NYC is home to hundreds of food trucks and countless food carts. I have never had food from either till now. I always want to try but usually end up eating somewhere else. I love the smell of food around these food carts.
Roasted Chestnut Donuts (Vegan & Eggless Cake Donut Recipe)
I took a Vegan Donut making class in ICE and our teacher, Adam Sobel is the owner of a vegan food truck called Cinnamon Snail. He showed us how to make 4~5 different vegan donuts. I wanted to make the recipes at home for a long time, but didn't get a chance until now.

Finally I made one of the recipes from the class for this week. I had some roasted chestnuts in the fridge and I made these super delicious roasted chestnut donuts. These are specialty donuts, very different from regular donuts. They taste awesome freshly made, but they tasted just fine even after for couple of days.
Roasted Chestnuts
These are deep fried and not healthy by any means. But it's OK to indulge once in a while.. right?? Our teacher at the cooking class used a donut dropper to make the donuts. It is a complicated looking contraption and since I have no intentions of buying it, I made a stiffer dough; rolled it out and cut the donuts.
Roasted Chestnut Donuts (Vegan & Eggless Cake Donut Recipe)
Ingredients:
Roasted Chestnuts - 1cup
Soy milk - 1cup
Apple Cider Vinegar - 1tsp
Egg replacer powder - 1tbsp
Vegan margarine - 1½tbsp
Sugar - ½cup
Chestnut flour - 1/3cup
All purpose flour - 1cup
Baking powder - ¾tsp
Baking Soda - ¾tsp
Salt - ¼tsp
Ground Nutmeg - a pinch

For the Glaze:
Confectioners Sugar - 1~1½cups, sifted
Soy milk - 1~2tbsp
Salt - a pinch
Roasted Chestnut Donuts (Vegan & Eggless Cake Donut Recipe)
Method:
  • In a blender, combine roasted chestnuts, soy milk, apple cider vinegar and egg replacer powder. Blend on high speed for 45 seconds until; the chestnuts are completely smooth.
  • Cream margarine and sugar until light and fluffy.
  • Add the pureed chestnut mixture and mix for 2 more minutes, until thoroughly combined. 
  • Next add all the other ingredients and mix until well combined. It should be a very soft and pliable dough. Add more flour to get the right dough consistency.
  • Let the dough rest for 10~15 minutes while you heat oil for frying.
  • Roll out the dough into a ¼" thick rectangle and use 2 circle cutters (1 bigger than the other) to cut the donuts out.
  • Fry the donuts until golden brown on both sides. Remove the donuts from the oil and put them on paper towels to remove excess oil. Cool. Re-roll the scraps and repeat the cutting & frying until all the dough is used up. I fried the donut holes to get cute little mini donuts for the little ones to enjoy.
  • For the Glaze: Combine all the ingredients for the glaze. Dip one side of the donuts in the glaze and allow to cool completely.
Roasted Chestnut Donuts (Vegan & Eggless Cake Donut Recipe)
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 37.
Signature

11 comments:

  1. wow fantastic vegan recipe and doughnuts look perfect !! excellent captures dear !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I never had roasted donuts before but these donuts look so amazingly good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow ....... Creamy and delicious doughnuts! Happy to follow you dear, happy if you follow me back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy donuts. looks delicious & perfect..

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look so good! I have never tried making donuts before but after looking of these I may just try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow these are amazing Pavani. Delicious and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning and very professional looking donuts, Pavani!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow what a unique donut - the class must have been awesome - I too have taken class at ICE

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!Looks so perfect and tempts me to grab a few!

    ReplyDelete
  10. woow..Looks so perfect..Happy to follow you !!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Pavani, the donuts look so sinful!...such lovely pictures..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips