Cook's Hideout: Adai Aviyal

December 24, 2013

Adai Aviyal

Blogging Marathon# 35: Week 4/ Day 1
Theme: Bookmarked recipes
Dish: Adai Aviyal
We are starting the final week of Blogging Marathon today and my theme for this week is 'Bookmarked recipes'. My bookmarks are multiplying by the minute. There are so many recipes that I really really want to try but I never seem to find the time or the occasion to make them. Thanks to Valli for creating the occasion by making bookmarked recipes as a theme during BM, which gives us a chance to try at least 3 dishes from the bookmarked folder.
So for the first day, I made Adai-Aviyal (Avial). I didn't know they were served together as a combo until BM# 30 where this was part of the combo dishes. Few of my fellow marathoners made this combo and I bookmarked Vaishali's & Priya's posts.
Adai Aviyal

I already have the recipe for ada/ adai here, but I'm going to type it again.

Ada/ Adai (Mixed Lentil Dosa):
Ingredients:
Chana dal - ¼cup 
Toor dal - ¼cup
Moong dal - ¼cup
Urad dal - ¼cup
Masoor dal - 2tbsp
Brown Rice - ½cup
Ginger - 2" piece
Dry red chilies - 6~8 (adjust as per taste)
Salt - to taste

Method:
  • Soak the dals along with brown rice for at least 3~4 hours. Then grind along with the other ingredients into a coarse paste. 
  • Heat a tawa/ griddle on medium high heat. Pour a 1~2 ladleful of batter and spread it into a circle with the back of the ladle. Add 1tsp oil on the top and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes. 
  • Flip and cook for another 1 minute. Serve hot with avial and chutney of your choice.
Avial/ Aviyal: Avial is a yogurt-coconut based dish from Kerala. Grated coconut is ground along with cumin seeds and added to mixed vegetables along with yogurt. This is a very simple dish to make, but it is super tasty. My mom makes traditional avial and I wanted to make something a little different, so when I found the recipe on Hari Chandana's blog where she used shallots in the avial masala, I knew I had to try it.
Adai Aviyal
Ingredients:
Mixed Vegetables - 2½~3cups (I used potato, carrot, green beans, grean peas & ash gourd)
Yogurt - ½cup
Turmeric - ¼tsp
Salt - to taste

For the Masala Paste:
Fresh grated coconut - 1cup
Cumin seeds - 1tsp
Green chilies - 3~4 (adjust as per taste)
Red onion - 1 small or 5~6 shallots, coarsely chopped

For Tempering:
Mustard seeds - 1tsp
Dry Red Chili - 1 (optional)
Curry leaves - 8~10
Adai Aviyal
Method:

  • Cook the veggies along with turmeric and water until tender.
  • In the meantime, grind all the ingredients for the masala into a paste. Use as little water as possible.
  • Once the veggies are tender, add the coconut paste, mix well and cook for 3~4 minutes.
  • Add whisked yogurt and salt, cook until heated through, about 1~2 minutes. Turn off the heat.
  • Heat 2tsp coconut oil, add mustard seeds and curry leaves. Once the seeds start to splutter, add this to the veggies. Cover and set aside for at least 5 minutes for the flavors to mingle.

Serve with adai or wuth steamed rice.
Adai Aviyal
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 35.
Signature

9 comments:

  1. Lighting looks different in your pictures today, Pavani..indoor lights I guess....still they look fabulous..your colour coordination always rocks..and coming to the combo, living all my life in south, I still didn't know this combination until blogging..and I have not seen this pairing being done in hotels as well..anyway home cooking is entirely a different thing right..I have been wanting to make these two..let's see..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both are well presented, especially the avial. I have also come to know about this combo thru blogs and always have wondered about it. For me some powdered jiggery is the best when it comes to adai. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful combo,my all time favorite,looks so delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always eat adai with jaggery and butter. This is such a classic combo but because I eat it with jaggery, that is how i exposed my kids to as well. Lovely clicks as always Pavani!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Combo looks wonderful and as usual the clicks are beautiful .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice combination. I think I will like the aviyal. Got to try it once.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now this is something I have been wanting to try for ages. Love your pics

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips