Cook's Hideout: Vegetarian Pita Pizza with Meatless Meatballs

May 04, 2013

Vegetarian Pita Pizza with Meatless Meatballs

Blogging Marathon# 28: Week 1/ Day 2
Theme: Kid's Delight - 5 Ingredient Fix
Dish: Pita Pizza with Meatless Meatballs
Kids LOVE cheese, kids LOVE pizza, so it's only obvious that we have a pizza post for Kid's Delight: 5 ingredient fix, that I'm hosting this month right here. Thanks to Valli for giving me the opportunity to host.
Coming back to kids and their love of pizza, my 5 year old son is no different. He absolutely loves pizza and he thinks Friday is the best day of the week and he wants everyday to be a Friday just because they have pizza for lunch in school. He wanted me to make meatball pizza because he saw that flavor on the pizza box and wanted to see how it tastes. So, of course I had to make it for him.
I took a shortcut and used store-bought pita bread as the base for the pizza this time. But you can use homemade pita or naan instead. And if you have the time, go ahead and make the pizza base. One time I told my son that I was going to make pizza even before making the dough, he made me realize that making a pizza takes fooooooorever. He probably asked me if the pizza was ready at least a hundred times and started to get grumpy by the time it was ready. So beware before telling your kids about your pizza making. Oh, I just realized I don't have a pizza base recipe on my blog. I will post one that I use soon.
Here's my formula for 5 ingredient pizza:

Ingredients:
Pizza Base - Pita bread, Naan, ready to use pizza base, English muffins are some ideas
Sauce - Tomato based pizza sauce, pesto etc
Cheese - Mozzarella is traditional, you can also use any other good melting cheese like cheddar, jack cheese etc.
Toppings - This is where you can go crazy, any veggies (roasted veggies are excellent) can be used. I used meatless meatballs. So south of the border with black beans and corn.
Seasoning - Herbe de Provence, oregano, basil etc. For a Mexican twist, sprinkle some smoky cumin and chili powder.
Salt and Pepper - to taste
Method:
  • Preheat the oven to 450°F.
  • Spread the sauce on the pizza base, leave at least ½" border, so the toppings and cheese don't spill over.
  • Evenly distribute the toppings and cheese, add the seasonings. Bake for 8-12 minutes depending o the base you are using.
  • I baked these pita pizzas for 8 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before cutting and enjoying.
Lets check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked today for BM# 28.
Signature

13 comments:

  1. Just love the recipe..looks so tempting

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow..looks real yum..even I get the pizza bread from store..but I guess its fine to do that..take it easy:))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same in my house Pavani. My daughter looks forward for her pizza Mondays at school. Though she is older than your son and wouldn't dare to ask for meatball one. :))
    And pitas and other breads make easier pizzas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. pizza is every kid's fave...big kids too...meaning us adult :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pizza is loved by all at home, esp Kiddo.. Lovely idea to use Pita bread as a base :-))

    Kalyani
    Sizzling Tastebuds
    Event : MLLA # 59 + giveaway
    Magic Mingle # 17

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cool idea ..the elder kid at home (my husband!) would definitely droll over this :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pavani, you literally had me floored with your pictures! what a tempting sight..Even I wouldn't mind having these for my lunch. And yes we also end up having pizzas on Fridays..would surely want to try these sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pizza and click both makes my hungry but plz try for me same in veg style.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super yum!!! Love those bumpy meatless meatballs on top!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My lil one loved pizzas and it was Saturday Pizza day, now her tastes have changed and it is Saturday ice cream day.
    As for me I love this platter and would love to have it right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want pizza now. Your pics have me drooling over them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Exotic pizza!! Love to have some..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips