Cook's Hideout: Baked Pita Bread

April 29, 2012

Baked Pita Bread

For the last day of BM# 15, I have a baked flat bread with yeast. Ever since I saw this recipe on Vardini’s blog, I wanted to make it. Recipe is from Fresh Loaf site and I used one of the variations suggested in the comments section – I used half all-purpose flour and half spelt flour to make it a little healthier. 



The resulting pitas were soft and tasted great. It was fun seeing the pitas puff up in the oven, the key is to roll them evenly and keep the thickness on slightly thick side. Most of my pitas puffed up pretty good and had a pocket when we cut into them. I made some falafel, a simple tomato - green onion salad and tahini-yogurt dip to fill and flavor our pita pockets. 


Ingredients
All-purpose flour – 1½ cups 
Spelt flour – 1½ cups 
Salt – 1½ tsp 
Sugar – 1tbsp 
Instant Yeast – 2¼ tsp (or one envelope) 
Water (@ room temperature) – 1¼ cups 
Olive Oil – 2tbsp 

 
Method
  • Combine the flours, yeast, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Add water slowly to the flour and form into smooth and pliable dough. Add oil and knead it into the dough.
  • Spray a large bowl with cooking spray and transfer the dough; cover with plastic wrap or kitchen towel and set aside at room temperature for about 1½ hrs or until the dough doubles in size. 
  • Punch the dough down and divide into 8 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a smooth ball; cover and set aside for 20 minutes.
  • In the meantime, place a baking stone (or an overturned baking sheet) in the oven and preheat to 425°F. 
  • Roll each ball into disks sprinkling flour as needed. Stack the rolled disks and keep them covered to avoid drying out. 
  • Carefully place the disks on the hot baking stone (I was able to fit 2 pitas at a time on my round baking sheet) and bake for 3-4 minutes or until they puff up and look opaque. 
  • Remove and stack them covered in a clean kitchen towel. Enjoy with your favorite fillings and dips.
 

Let's check out what my fellow marathoners have cooked up for the Last day of BM# 15. Thanks to Valli for being a gracious host and organizing yet another successful Marathon.

I'll be back soon with the announcement for Dish It Out.
Signature

15 comments:

  1. Very nice. I still haven't made pita bread because of the smoke detector in my kitchen. It beeps every time my oven is at 450 and above and I open the oven door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm. That's probably a big inconvenience for
      you since you bake so much. Is the oven giving out too much smoke or ur detector is just too sensitive??

      Delete
  2. Pitas look great. Hope you had a great time at your cousin's place. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suma. We had a great time at my cousins place.

      Delete
  3. They look so divine! love the falafel too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pita bread looks perfectly puffed up and soft.

    Vardhini
    CooksJoy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow super prefect pita breads,wish to prepare a sandwich with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is great that you got pockets to fill up with the dip and the salad...am sure it would have tasted wonderful! Btw, what is spelt flour? What else can it be replaced with?

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look great, can't wait to try making these. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips