Cook's Hideout: Spinach Fry & Tomato Dal

October 12, 2009

Spinach Fry & Tomato Dal


I missed Veganmofo over the weekend, so I thought I will post 2 very simple recipes to make up for it. These two dishes are actually too simple and easy and they don’t need a recipe, but I’ll give them anyway. :-)

Tomato Dal

First up is Spinach fry or sautéed spinach. I sometimes add soaked moong dal to make it even more nutritious.

Ingredients:
Spinach – ½ lb (about 4-5 cups), washed and chopped
Onion – 1 large, chopped
Green chilies – 3, sliced longitudinally

For tadka:
Urad dal – ½ tsp
Cumin seeds – 1tsp
Mustard seeds – 1tsp
Dry red chili – 1
Turmeric – pinch
Garlic – 2 cloves, minced
Salt – to taste

Method:
  • Heat 2tsp oil in a large sauté pan; add urad dal, cumin & mustard seeds & red chili; once the seeds start to splutter add garlic and sauté till golden brown and fragrant. Make sure not to burn garlic.
  • Add onions, green chilies, turmeric and sauté till onions are lightly browned. Next add spinach; cover and cook till cooked thoroughly, about 6-8 minutes.
  • Add salt; cook uncovered on medium-high heat till most of the water evaporates. Serve with rice or roti.
Tomato Dal



Tomato Dal:
Moong dal – ½ cup
Red Masoor dal – ½ cup
Tomato – 2 medium, chopped
Green chilies – 2, chopped
Tamarind paste – 1tbsp

For tadka –
Mustard & Cumin seeds – 1tsp each
Red chili – 2
Asafetida – pinch
Turmeric – pinch
Salt – to taste

Method:
  • Cook both dals with tomato, green chilies & enough water in a pressure cooker until thoroughly cooked (takes about 4-5 whistles in my cooker).
  • In a small saucepan, heat 1tsp oil and add the tadka ingredients; once the seeds start to splutter, add the tadka to the cooked dal along with tamarind paste, turmeric, salt and 1 cup water. Simmer the mixture for another 7-8 minutes. Serve with steamed rice or roti.
I served my dishes with DK’s Sweet Potato rotis. I microwave peeled & cubed sweet potatoes with some water, drain and mash into pulp and mix the pulp with the atta (whole wheat flour) & just a little bit of salt. These are my all-time favorite rotis and I make them as often as possible. Try them, you wont be disappointed.
Signature

8 comments:

  1. aaahh..simple everyday meal! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. those sweet potato rotis looks fantastic. in fact the whole meal does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy tomato Dal & spinach fry.looks good.Do visit my blog when u find time

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dal and spinach fry, prefect and healthy dish together !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious, Pavani!I like the idea of Sweet potato rotis...will try that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love the spinach with onions!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips