Cook's Hideout: Vegan Chocolate Brownies

April 20, 2009

Vegan Chocolate Brownies

I have never baked brownies from scratch before. When I saw this recipe in Vegetarian Times, I just had to give it a try. This recipe uses soft tofu & unsweetened applesauce instead of butter and eggs and this is the first time I have used tofu to bake a dessert. One mistake I made was to buy soft tofu that was crumbly and not the silken type soft tofu which made the mixture look curdled before baking, but was fine after mixing all the ingredients together. Also I thought there was a very faint taste of tofu in the first brownie I tasted, but I didn’t taste it afterwards (may be I got used to the taste??) But all in all it’s a great recipe with 124 calories, 3gms of protein, 1gm total fat and 0g cholesterol.

Recipe adapted from Vegetarian Times magazine.

Ingredients:

Natural Cane Sugar - 2¼ cups (I used regular white sugar)

All-purpose flour – 1¼ cups

Unsweetened Cocoa powder – 1¼ cups

Baking powder – 1½ tsp

Baking Soda – 1½tsp

Salt – 1/8tsp

Soft Tofu – 1cup

Unsweetened Applesauce – 1 cup

Chocolate Soymilk – ¾ cup

Vanilla essence – 2tsp

Method:

  • Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9”x13” pan with cooking spray.
  • Combine sugar, flour, baking pd, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl.
  • Combine applesauce, tofu, chocolate milk & vanilla in a food processor; process until well blended.
  • Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix well.
  • Pour into prepared pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until batter is set and the top is dry. Cool in the pan; cut into bars and enjoy.
These brownies can be frozen for later use, but I bet there won't be too many left for freezing.
This is my entry to Poornima’s (@ Tasty Treats) “For the Love of Chocolate” event.
Signature

13 comments:

  1. I guess its cake time these days lotsa cake recipes, love your brownies... topped with confectioner sugar??? I liked the idea of Natural cane sugar, thats a good way to do away with the white sugar.... I liked the addition of tofu... Good one Pavani...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow..Yesterday even i baked brownies and sadly for the same event..Liked ur vegan version...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. None will believe it is eggless, looks so moist and love brownies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely brownies,no cholestrol,looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pavni,

    The brownies look very moist. I will try this one, as it is low in calories + the tofu gives in added protein. Great recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks yum. I like dense moist Brownies! :)

    I am waiting to get my hands on "Frost and Nixon", it released today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow absolutely droolworthy....Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made a cake with tofu and apple sauce inspired from Madhu's blog and there wasn't even a faint taste of tofu.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love brownies and this looks delicious and guilt free too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look and sound delicious, Pavani. Lovely to see more cooks taking a chance on vegan foods.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like you have been looking at magazines like me. I have been trying out stuff for various magazines.The tofu added brownie is good. Its something to try for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. first time here ...Everything is looking declicious and nice blog too,I will visit regularly

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love anything with chocolate in it. Your brownies look sinfully delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips