Cook's Hideout: Sprouted Matki Pulao (Moth Beans Pilaf)

April 23, 2009

Sprouted Matki Pulao (Moth Beans Pilaf)

I bought matki (moth beans) to make Sia’s hot & spicy Kohlapuri Misal, but I ended up making this mildly flavored pulao from Tarla Dalal’s site. I love Tarla Dalal and I used to watch her cooking show on Sony TV in India (this was long long time ago). I remember liking the co-host Sudhanshu too.. handsome guy.. ahem.. back to what I was saying about Tarla Dalal, her cooking looks very homemade, nothing fancy and this recipe is simplicity at its best. Just a couple of cloves, grated ginger and ground coriander mildly flavor the rice. Can be served with a paneer curry or even raitha.


Ingredients:
Moth Beans – 1 cup, sprouted
Basmati rice – 1 cup
Spring onions – 4-6, chopped
Green pepper – 1 medium, chopped
Ginger – 1” piece
Green chili – 1
Cloves – 2
Ground Coriander – 1tsp
Red chili powder – 1tsp
Hing – pinch
Salt – to taste

Method:
  • Cook basmati and let cool.
  • Parboil matki sprouts; I pressure cooked them for 2 whistles and they were perfectly cooked, not mushy at all.
  • Heat 1tbsp oil in a sauté pan; add cloves and hing and sauté for a minute.
  • Add ginger, chili, spring onions, green pepper and cook till the veggies are tender.
  • Add coriander powder, red chili pd and matki.
  • Sauté for 4-5 minutes until all the flavors have mingled. If using parboiled moth beans, then add ½ cup of water and cook till the beans are tender.
  • Once the beans are tender, add rice and salt; mix well and serve.


  • This is my entry to April ’09 edition of Weekend Wokking-Sprouts started by Wandering Chopsticks and being hosted by Kits Chow.
    Signature

    11 comments:

    1. Healthy healthy healthy nice rice dish, very comforting and filling too...

      ReplyDelete
    2. Simple and delicious rice.

      ReplyDelete
    3. How fascinating. I've never heard of moth beans before. This looks like such a simple but flavorful recipe.

      Thanks for participating in Weekend Wokking.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Pulao looks wonderful, simple and aromatic, truly simplicity at its best :)

      ReplyDelete
    5. Tempting dish..gorgeous clicks!

      ReplyDelete
    6. Oh, looky here! :D

      http://aromahope.blogspot.com/2007/04/matki-pulao.html

      Simple and delicious Pvani, I love it too. I added some extra things too to this, love the taste! :)

      Have a great weekend. We have 89F on Sunday, can't say I love the hot, dry air (means allergy) but AC went to "cool" now!

      ReplyDelete
    7. Looks beautiful and delicous.

      ReplyDelete
    8. Looks good. This is something I have bookmarked from Tarla Dalal but never got around to making so far.:)

      ReplyDelete
    9. ahem...I used to watch that show too :P I wish the Indian store here sold beans in bulk bins. I feel like trying out all the variety they have, but 2lbs of each is tooo much for me. The pulao looks very comforting.

      ReplyDelete

    Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

    I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

    Have a Wonderful Day!!

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
    Blogging tips