Cook's Hideout: Italian style Seitan with Broccoli Polenta

April 07, 2009

Italian style Seitan with Broccoli Polenta

I love making seitan, it is so much fun to work with wheat gluten. I try to make a batch once a month and freeze it, so I can use it in any dish to add extra protein and yumminess. Most of the seitan recipes call for humongous amounts of water and then boiling for at least 1 hour. I did all that in the past, thinking no pain, no gain; but not anymore.

Voila!! I have been making my seitan following Julie Hasson’s steamed Italian sausage recipe which has been in the blogosphere for quite sometime now and I have to say this recipe is awesome for following three reasons. First of it is extremely simple to put together; secondly it’s almost impossible to mess the recipe; third and final the end result is super delicious.


I followed Julie recipe to the T and the original recipe can be found here. I made sausages with half the dough and cutlets with the other half. The only change I made was to use a pressure cooker instead of a steamer to steam the seitan. I steamed it for 25 minutes (without the whistle, of course). I thought this is the most convenient seitan recipe ever, no fuss, no mess. I used the cutlets to make Julie’s Spicy Italian Cutlet Parmesan. For side dish I made Broccoli Polenta from Veganomicon by Isa Chandra.

Ingredients:
Polenta – 1 cup
Broccoli – 4 cups, very finely chopped about ¼” pieces
Olive oil – 2tbsp
Salt & Pepper – to taste
Method:
  • Bring 3½ cups of water and salt to a boil.
  • Add polenta in a slow and steady stream; add oil, salt and pepper, mix well. Reduce the flame to low; cover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once done, cover and let rest for 10minutes.

Signature

12 comments:

  1. wow! this looks so yum! ive always avoided making seitan beecause it sounded difficult...but you make it look so easy! im bookmarking to try this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. never used seitan, something new and full of flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something new to me. Looks yummmy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I smile every time I read Seitan, sounds like Satan! :D

    Looks great with Broccoli, you are cooking more now Pavani. That's great! Enjoy Good Friday and long weekend too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the pic! Never tried seitan before but it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is new to me..Looks very yummy..

    ReplyDelete
  7. We don't get seitan here and I am really dying to taste it!! The dish looks so good and healthy:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Polenta mmm looks great I love Italian food and this looks just perfect for me... First time here nice space, shall keep visiting...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seitan, a dish I always thought was difficult to make..you make it sound otherwise.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips