Cook's Hideout: Vegetable Vindaloo in Slow Cooker

September 19, 2008

Vegetable Vindaloo in Slow Cooker

The latest addition to my bursting at the seam kitchen cabinet/ counter is a Hamilton Beach Slow cooker. I borrowed this Vegetarian slow cooker cookbook from the library to get a better understanding of what and how to cook in a slow cooker. I decided to make vegetable vindaloo as my first dish in the slow cooker.

Ingredients:
Potatoes – 1 medium, chopped
Carrots – 2 small, thinly sliced
Capsicum – 1 medium, diced
Zucchini – 2 small, sliced into ¼“ pieces
Cauliflower – 2 cups chopped into small florets
Onion – 1 large, chopped
Kidney Beans – 1½ cups cooked or 1 15 oz. can
Tomato Sauce – 8 oz. can

For the Masala paste:
Ginger Garlic paste – 1 tbsp
Ground Coriander – 1 tsp
Ground Cumin – ½ tsp
Turmeric – pinch
White Wine vinegar – 1 tbsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
Chili powder – 1 tsp


Method:
  • Blend all the masala paste ingredients into a smooth paste; keep aside.
  • In a medium sauté pan, heat oil and add onions and carrots. Cover and cook till tender about 5 minutes.
  • Add the onions mixture to the slow cooker and start it on Low and cook for 1 minute. Add the masala paste, all the other veggies including the beans, tomato sauce and 1½ cups of warm water. Mix well; season with salt and pepper.
  • Cover and cook on Low for 6 hours (We came back after around 4 hours of cooking and I got a little impatient with slow cooking, so I cranked up to High and cooked for 1 hour.)
Serve with Rice (I made Pudina Rice w/ Peas) or roti.


I thought cauliflower was going to crumble up and potatoes were going to be mushy. But even at the end of 6 hours each veggie held its identity and the curry itself was delicious having simmered for the whole day. I will be posting more slow cooker recipes going forward.

On another note, my son is turning ONE on Monday.. OMG.. I cannot believe this past year flew by so fast. I still think he’s this tiny little bundle that the nurse showed me in OT right after he was born. Now he’s crawling around the house pulling everything he can reach. This is him arranging my books (or pulling down the house??)


I still remember waiting for him in the hospital room waiting to hold him. And now I can’t wait to see his smiling/ giggling face when I pick him from the day care. This is him

I still remember how disappointed I was when the nurse said he looks just like his father (and nothing like me). And now I see a little of both of us in him and also this little human being with his own personality. I wish time just takes it a little easy.. He's already leafing through the books (or ready to tear it apart)

I’m planning to make vanilla and chocolate cupcakes for kids in his daycare and Carrot cupcakes for us at home. Will post pics of the cupcakes soon.

8 comments:

  1. Vindaloo looks so good pavani.My daughter is going to turn one pretty soon. I just wish time would stop and i get to enjoy her more. Wish your little guy a very happy b'day from me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is so cute, looks like he is going to be a book-lover... look at him leafing through the books and papers! Wish him a very happy birthday and all happiness.
    Can't wait for the cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pavani..Vindaloo looks so yummy..

    when i saw ur son playing with bookshelf..i just remember my son emptying the whole book shelf one day by climbing on chair. Now he is 1 year and 4 mons, he has stopped emptying and is keen in arranging them.. so keep enjoying! My Advanced Birthday wishes to your son!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks yum,..nd cutepics of ur son,..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pavani "Vindaloo" new recipe for me.. sounds interesting..

    ReplyDelete
  6. the vindaloo looks yumm Pavani and Happy Birthday to your kiddo! he looks cho cute..:)

    Cheers,
    Siri

    ReplyDelete
  7. happy bday to your son..he is so cute...my twins are doing the same..:)..vindaloo looks yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awwwww, what cute little pictures... The food looks so good!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips