Cook's Hideout: Quick and Easy Sweet Potato Dessert

May 19, 2008

Quick and Easy Sweet Potato Dessert

This dessert requires only 2 main ingredients, Sweet Potato and Jaggery. It is extremely easy to make and tastes absolutely divine and is very healthy too.
Ayurveda has suggests that jaggery purifies blood, acts as a lung protective agent from air pollution, regulates liver function and keeps the body healthy and strong of all ages. Jaggery contains Proteins, Minerals and Vitamins, which are essential constituents for the body. It is also a potent source of Iron and has a higher Iron and Copper contents than white sugar. It is also a superior product among natural sweeteners with regards to the Vitamin contents.
Sweet Potato on the other hand is a powerhouse of nutrition. Sweet potatoes are bursting with beta carotene (vitamin A), high in vitamin C, good sources of fiber and are fat & cholesterol-free.
So the combination of these two is a killer dessert that is good and good for you. I added ghee to make it a little decadent, but it is completely optional.

Ingredients (makes about 4 servings):
Sweet potatoes – 2 medium, chopped
Jaggery – ½ cup, grated
Ghee – 2tbsp (optional)
Elaichi – pinch (optional)

Method:
  • Take the chopped sweet potato in a microwaveable dish. MW on high for about 4-5 mins with little water until tender.
  • Heat ghee in a pan, add the cooked sweet potatoes and jaggery, cover and cook on medium-low flame until jaggery melts and forms a thick sauce about 5-6 minutes.
  • Add elaichi powder and take off heat. Enjoy hot or cold or at room temperature.

This year is the first time ever that I started container gardening. Until now it was sharing a balcony less apartment with room mates or living married in a light less basement.
Finally we moved to a townhouse that has not one but two balconies and I was dreaming of planting all these flowers, tomatoes, chilies etc. But after a little reality check (my son’s voice brought me back to this world), I settled with two flower pots, 2 basil plants (one regular and one lemon) and a pot with methi.
Now the million dollar question is if these plants going to survive the summer. Well that is what even I’m wondering, but both my husband and I are watering them religiously everyday (if not rains in NJ are taking care of that) and I’m planning to give them some plant food. I don’t want to leave any leaf unturned to save my plants (no pun intended). Wish me Luck..

8 comments:

  1. nice sweet..first time hearing something like this..we normally eat sweet potato as such!...

    All the best for gardening!..hope all of them crop out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the very best for ur gardening Pavani. thats one thing I wanna do.. at some point of time. prob when we get a town house like u..;) btw, the dessert looks yumm!

    Siri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pavani, your sweet recipe is yummy! and i guess its very easy to make...ought to try sometime t his week...thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i usually roast the sweet potatoes and thats the only way i eat it....dessert out of it sounds wonderful!!!looks delcious..

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks like a yummy desert. Thanks for sharing. Good luck with your gardening project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love anything with jaggery..jaggery with sweet potatoes looks divine

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mom always made something like this with butter and brown sugar... I know this tastes awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried this out and came out sooooo yummy... Thanks Pavani

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips