Cook's Hideout: Veggie Pizza

November 09, 2006

Veggie Pizza

Who doesn’t like Pizzas?? But my problem with store-bought pizzas is the amount of oil in the crust and the toppings (especially Costco pizza, you need about 5 paper towels to soak up oil in the topping). To eat more healthful, I started making pizzas at home, with store-bought crust (pizza base). These bases are fairly inexpensive (not more than $2 for one base) and all you have to do is top it and bake it.
I found this recipe online and it is very unique from any store-bought pizza. I had all the ingredients on hand. The pizza turned out to be yummy and with so many veggies.. it was guilt-free also.

Ingredients:
Pizza crust – 1 (Store-bought or home-made)
Black beans – 1 cup (about ½ a 16 oz. can, drained and rinsed)
Carrots – 2/3 cup grated (2 medium)
Onion – 1 medium, thinly sliced
Zucchini – 1 medium, thinly sliced
Red pepper flakes – ¼ tsp
Part skim Mozzarella cheese (or reduced fat Italian cheese blend) – 2/3 cup

For the Sauce:
Sun-dried Tomatoes – 8 (oil-packed or dried)
Tomato paste – 1 tbsp
Tomato – 1 medium, peeled and chopped
Hot sauce – 1 tbsp (or to taste)
Salt and Pepper (to taste)

Method:
  • To make the sauce: Place sun-dried tomatoes in a bowl and cover with boiling water; let stand 15 minutes; drain and chop (skip this step if using oil-packed tomatoes). Grind sun-dried tomatoes, tomato paste, chopped tomato, hot sauce, salt and pepper into a smooth paste. You can add water or olive oil to thin out the sauce. I did not add water and my sauce was thicker than regular marinara sauce.
  • To make the pizza: Pre-heat oven to 425ºF (220ºC). Place the crust on a baking sheet and spread with the tomato sauce.
  • Top with beans and carrots.
  • Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a pan, sauté onions, zucchini and red pepper flakes for 5 minutes or until the veggies are tender. Arrange on the crust, sprinkle with cheese.
  • Bake 12-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
We had our pizza with green salad (I tossed in the left over beans, carrots with salad greens and pesto dressing). This is my entry to this week's ARF 5-A-Tuesday hosted by lovely Cate at Sweet nicks.

9 comments:

  1. Pizza looks great,Pavani.Will try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy.But where to get pizza crest dough?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks wonderful! In England , Pizza Hut hut makes Bean pizza which is similar to this but with kidney beans. Delicious, thank you this:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never thought of adding black beans to my pizza before. Looks like a Mexican mix on the pizza. So, did you use the ready made pizza crust or one from the freezer?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your recipe sounds really enticing, I have never added black beans as a topping...and your recipe for the sauce sounds great...I love sundried tomatoes!

    Thanks,Trupti

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate store bought pizza due to the amount of cheese they put! Once I had a mexican pizza similar to yours but had corn chips and avacoado and was served with a dollop of sour cream! It was very good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Vini.. Do try it and let me know..

    Thanks Rashmi.. You can find pre-made pizza crust in the freezer section or in the dairy section (along with refrigerated tortillas and other stuff) or in the bread section..

    Wow.. Asha.. Kidney beans on pizza.. Should try that out soon.. Thank you

    Hi Lakshmi.. I used pre-made pizza crust (not the one from the freezer, but from the bread section). Thanks for visiting my blog.

    Hi Trupti, I love the tanginess that sundried tomatoes have and it went really with the veggies in the pizza. Do try it and let me know..

    Hi Praveena.. Corn chips, avocado w/ sour cream on pizza sound really interesting.. Can u post the recipe?? Thanks..

    ReplyDelete
  8. pavni :
    i like your name..and the pizza looks great...and making pizza at home is so much fun and tastier as u can make it the way u want ..add in the toppings that u like isn't it...
    Cheers
    Seema

    ReplyDelete
  9. pavni , its me agian ...just wanted to let you knwo that i jsut saw your profile and came to know that u r from NJ as well.. i am from NJ too and there are so many food bloggers in NJ ..good ...hmnn great ... looks like NJ is cooking ..what say gal?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips